Tuscan sauce (Ragù Toscano) is a rich and tasty condiment, the variation of the traditional Bolognese sauce.
Unlike the latter, made only with ground beef, the Tuscan version also includes the addition of sausage.
The meat is browned in a pot with herbs, blended with red wine and then brought to a simmer, on a very low and very gentle heat, together with passata and tomato paste.
The end result is a full-bodied sauce with a rustic flavor.
- 14 oz mixed ground meat (beef and pork)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 14 oz tomato puree
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 7 oz Tuscan sausage, casing removed and crumbled (pork or boar is good)METHOD
- In a large pot, heat some extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrots and sauté for a few minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the ground meat and crumbled sausage, and brown until well cooked.
- Pour the red wine into the pot and let the alcohol evaporate.
- Add the tomato paste and mix well.
- Add the tomato puree, salt, and pepper to taste, then cover the pot and let it simmer over very low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- If the ragu becomes too dry during cooking, you can add a little vegetable broth or hot water.Once ready, your Tuscan Ragu will be perfect for dressing your favorite pasta.Enjoy your meal!
Facebook Comments Box