Spaghetti alle Vongole is a beloved Italian pasta dish that perfectly captures the flavors of the sea.
This simple yet elegant dish is a staple of Italian coastal cuisine, featuring tender clams, garlic, white wine, parsley and al dente spaghetti. Its popularity extends far beyond Italy, making it a favorite dish of seafood enthusiasts around the world.
The origins of Spaghetti alle Vongole can be traced back to Italy’s coastal regions, where fresh seafood has always been plentiful.
The dish is believed to have originated in southern regions, particularly Naples and surrounding areas, where clams were readily available and pasta was a dietary staple.
The combination of pasta and seafood has been part of the Italian culinary tradition for centuries, and Spaghetti alle Vongole is a testament to this enduring union.
The simplicity of the dish and the use of fresh, high-quality ingredients reflect the essence of Italian cuisine.
Over time, Spaghetti alle Vongole has become a symbol of Italian coastal cuisine, celebrated for its delicate balance of flavors and its ability to transport diners to the sunny shores of the Mediterranean.
- 11 oz spaghetti
- 2.2 lbs fresh clams
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Fresh red chili pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Salt to taste
1. First, place the clams in a large bowl of salted water for at least an hour. This will allow the clams to expel any sand or grit.
2. After soaking, drain and rinse the clams under cold running water.
3. In a large skillet, sauté the garlic and fresh red chili pepper in extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Be careful not to let the garlic burn.
4. Add the clams to the skillet and pour in the white wine. Cover the skillet with a lid and cook until the clams have opened, which should take about 5-7 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in plenty of salted water until al dente.
6. Drain the spaghetti and transfer it to the skillet with the clams. Also, add the chopped fresh parsley and mix everything together over medium heat for a couple of minutes.
7. Ensure that the spaghetti is well coated with the clam sauce.
8. Serve the Spaghetti alle Vongole hot, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of fresh parsley.
Enjoy your meal! If you need further details or other recipes, feel free to ask.