Transport your taste buds to the sunny streets of Sicily with this exquisite recipe for Sicilian Cannoli.
These sweet, crispy pastries filled with creamy ricotta and hints of citrus are a delightful taste of Italy’s culinary heritage.
Follow along to learn how to create your own authentic Sicilian Cannoli, right in the comfort of your kitchen.
For the Cannoli Shells:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white wine (you can use Marsala wine for an authentic touch)
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Vegetable oil for frying
For the Cannoli Filling:
- 2 cups ricotta cheese, drained
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup candied orange peel, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
Making the Cannoli Shells:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Add the softened butter and white wine. Mix until the dough comes together.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until it’s smooth and elastic. Wrap it in plastic wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Roll out the dough as thinly as possible, aiming for a thickness of about 1/16 inch. Use a round cookie cutter to cut out circles, approximately 4-5 inches in diameter.
- Wrap each dough circle around a Cannoli mold or a metal tube, sealing the edges with a dab of egg white.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep, heavy pot to 350°F (175°C). Fry the Cannoli shells until they turn golden brown, which should take about 2-3 minutes. Remove them with a slotted spoon and let them drain on paper towels. Once cooled, carefully slide the shells off the molds.
Preparing the Cannoli Filling:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the drained ricotta cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Gently fold in the candied orange peel, mini chocolate chips, and chopped pistachios into the ricotta mixture.
Assembling the Cannoli:
- Using a pastry bag or a zip-top bag with a corner snipped off, pipe the ricotta filling into both ends of each Cannoli shell, creating a creamy, decadent filling.
- Dust the finished Cannoli with powdered sugar to add a touch of sweetness.
Bringing the flavors of Sicily to your American table has never been easier.
These Sicilian Cannoli are a perfect blend of crispy and creamy, making them an unforgettable dessert that’s perfect for any occasion.
Share them with your loved ones and experience a slice of Sicilian sweetness right at home.
Enjoy your homemade Sicilian Cannoli, a true taste of Italy’s heart!
Facebook Comments Box