Hailing from the picturesque region of Puglia, this savory recipe combines the robust flavor of broccoli, the umami richness of anchovies, and the slight heat of chili.
With its roots deeply embedded in Mediterranean tradition, this dish offers a delicious fusion of textures and flavors.
Follow this easy-to-follow recipe, translated into American measures, and embark on a culinary journey that combines simplicity and sophistication, bringing the authentic flavors of Italy to the table.
- 14 ounces orecchiette pasta (or another pasta of your choice)
- 1 bunch of broccoli rabe
- 4 salted anchovies (or anchovies in oil)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Red pepper flakes (to taste)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preparing Broccoli Rabe:
- Clean the broccoli rabe, removing tougher leaves and cutting the tender parts.
- Blanch the broccoli rabe in salted water until tender. Drain and set aside.
Cooking the Pasta:
- Cook the pasta in plenty of salted water according to the package instructions. Drain it al dente, saving some pasta cooking water.
Preparing the Sauce:
- In a skillet, heat extra virgin olive oil and add crushed garlic cloves and red pepper flakes (to taste).
- Add the anchovies, previously desalted if they are salted, or rinsed if they are in oil. Let the anchovies dissolve in the skillet over medium heat.
- Add the blanched broccoli rabe to the skillet and cook for a few minutes, stirring well to combine all the ingredients.
Assembling the Dish:
- Mix the cooked pasta into the sauce in the skillet, stirring well and adding some pasta cooking water if needed to achieve a creamy consistency.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Serve the pasta with broccoli rabe and anchovies warm, optionally drizzling with a bit of extra virgin olive oil.