This rich and aromatic walnut liqueur, deeply rooted in the heart of Italy, is an enticing blend of earthy flavors, sweetness, and a hint of spiciness.
Crafted from green walnuts, a carefully selected mix of spices, and the finest spirits, NOCINO is the embodiment of Italian hospitality and culinary artistry.
NOCINO, traditionally enjoyed as a digestif, has a centuries-old legacy.
Each sip carries with it the essence of the Italian countryside, capturing the essence of sunny orchards and ancient family recipes passed down through generations.
With this comprehensive recipe, you’ll embark on a journey to create your own NOCINO, perfect for savoring on its own, drizzling over vanilla ice cream, or adding depth to your favorite cocktails.
So, let’s dive into the world of culinary alchemy and create a velvety, herbal elixir that’s as impressive as it is delightful.
- 30 green walnuts, quartered
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 cloves
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 1 lemon peel (zest only)
- 1 orange peel (zest only)
- 500 ml (about 2 cups) high-quality grain alcohol (190 proof)
- 250 grams (about 1 1/4 cups) granulated sugar
- 250 ml (about 1 cup) filtered water
- Prepare the Green Walnuts: Wear gloves to prevent staining your hands. Wash and quarter the green walnuts, placing them in a clean, airtight glass container.
- Add the Aromatics: Into the same container, add the cinnamon sticks, cloves, split vanilla bean, lemon zest, and orange zest. These aromatic elements will infuse the liqueur with a symphony of flavors.
- Pour in the Alcohol: Carefully pour the high-proof grain alcohol over the walnuts and spices. Seal the container tightly and place it in a cool, dark place for 40 days. During this time, gently shake the container every few days to ensure even flavor distribution.
- Prepare the Syrup: After 40 days, it’s time to make the syrup. In a saucepan, combine sugar and water over low heat. Stir until the sugar fully dissolves. Let the syrup cool to room temperature.
- Combine and Age: Strain the alcohol mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a clean container, removing the walnuts and spices. Then, add the cooled sugar syrup to the strained liquid and stir well.
- Bottle and Store: Carefully pour your NOCINO into glass bottles and seal them with airtight caps. Store them in a cool, dark place for at least 3 months to allow the flavors to mellow and mature.
- Serve and Savor: After the aging period, your homemade NOCINO is ready to be enjoyed. Sip it neat in a chilled glass, add a drizzle over vanilla ice cream, or experiment with mixing it into cocktails. Your guests will be captivated by the depth of flavors in this luxurious walnut liqueur.
Homemade NOCINO is a true labor of love, and as it matures, it becomes a treasured addition to your home bar. Sharing a glass of this exquisite walnut liqueur with friends and family is a taste of Italy in your own home, a testament to the power of homemade spirits, and a celebration of time-honored traditions. Cheers to your culinary craftsmanship!
Facebook Comments Box