Soft zeppole, enriched with a creamy and enveloping chocolate cream, embody the perfect combination of gastronomic elegance and the affection of such a special holiday.
Follow me step by step through this culinary experience and get ready to delight your palate with the unique taste of Zeppole di San Giuseppe, a dessert that is not just food, but a warm embrace of tradition and passion for Italian cuisine.
Are you ready to immerse yourself in this journey of flavors and discover the authentic joy of St. Joseph’s treats?
For the zeppole:
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
For the chocolate cream:
- 2 cups whole milk
- 5.3 oz (150g) dark chocolate
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cocoa powder
- Preparing the chocolate cream: a. Heat the milk in a saucepan until warm. b. In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, and flour until creamy. c. Pour the warm milk into the egg mixture, whisking continuously to avoid lumps. d. Transfer the mixture back to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the cream thickens. e. Add the chopped dark chocolate and vanilla extract, stirring until you get a smooth cream. Let it cool.
- Preparing the zeppole: a. In a saucepan, bring water, butter, and salt to a boil. b. Add the flour all at once and quickly stir until you have a smooth dough. c. Continue to stir over low heat for a few minutes to slightly dry the dough. d. Transfer the dough to a bowl and let it cool slightly. e. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition, until you have a homogeneous dough.
- Frying the zeppole: a. Heat oil in a deep pan to 350°F (180°C). b. Using two spoons, form small balls of dough and fry them in the hot oil until golden brown. c. Drain the zeppole on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Filling the zeppole: a. Using a pastry bag, fill the zeppole with the previously prepared chocolate cream.
- Finishing: a. Dust the zeppole with cocoa powder before serving.
Facebook Comments Box