The combination of succulent meatballs fried in a rich tomato sauce is an ancient culinary delight that captures the essence of home cooking.
This dish, reminiscent of cherished family gatherings, brings together simple but flavorful ingredients to create a hearty and satisfying meal.
Why fried meatballs are delicious:
Choosing to fry the meatballs in olive oil adds a layer of crispy perfection to the outside, creating a delicious contrast to the tender interior.
This cooking method not only imparts a golden brown color, but also seals in the juices, ensuring that every bite is full of goodness.
The frying process elevates the overall texture of the meatballs, creating a delicious crunch that complements the delicious tomato sauce.
In addition, the combination of ground beef and pork, combined with a mixture of breadcrumbs, milk, and grated cheese, results in meatballs that are not only moist but also full of flavor.
The aromatic and robust tomato sauce, simmered over low heat, serves as a delicious companion, infusing the dish with the essence of ripe tomatoes, basil and the finest spices.
Ingredients for Meatballs:
- 1 lb ground meat (a mix of beef and pork)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (Parmesan or Pecorino)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for frying
Ingredients for Tomato Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 28 oz canned crushed tomatoes (or tomato passata)
- Salt, pepper, and basil to taste
- In a bowl, mix the ground meat with the egg, breadcrumbs, milk, grated cheese, salt, and pepper. Form uniform-sized meatballs.
- Heat a generous amount of olive oil in a skillet. Fry the meatballs until they are golden brown on all sides. Drain them on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- In another pot, prepare the tomato sauce. Heat the olive oil and sauté the chopped onion until it becomes translucent.
- Add the crushed tomatoes (or tomato passata) to the pot. Adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper, and basil. Simmer over medium-low heat for about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the sauce is ready, add the meatballs to the pot and let them cook in the sauce for another 15-20 minutes over medium heat, covering with a lid.
- Serve the meatballs in tomato sauce hot, perhaps with some fresh bread to soak up the delicious sauce.
Facebook Comments Box