Very simple to make and ideal for snack or breakfast, perhaps next to a cup of tea or milk.
They melt in the mouth, made of a shortbread dough in which we also put milk, which makes them unique in flavor, the shortbread very soft and fragrant.
The affogagatti cookies are covered with the delicate and fragrant lemon glaze, in short, you absolutely must try them.
- 14 ounces all-purpose flour plus extra for dusting
- 3 1/2 ounces unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 4 1/4 ounces granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/3 fluid ounce – 2 2/3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 8g (1/4 ounce) baking powder
- 1 lemon juice
- 3.2 ounces – 2/3 cup icing sugar
- 1 2/3 fluid ounce – 3 1/3 tablespoons Italian grappa
Put the butter together with the milk in a little saucepan and let it melt on a low heat.
Switch off the gas and add the sugar, stirring.
Mix the flour, vanilla and baking powder on a pastry board; then make a well in the middle and add the eggs.
Then pour in the melted butter a little at a time while, slowly, you are drawing in the flour from the edge of the well.
Work until a smooth, elastic dough forms.
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Line the bottom of some baking sheets with waxed paper.
Divide the dough into cylinders 10-12 cm long (4-5in).
Flatten everyone lightly and then coil. Arrange them on the baking sheets, at a distance.
Bake for about 10 minutes. The surface doesn’t become golden.
Let them cool.
Meanwhile prepare the icing.
Put the icing sugar together with 120 ml (1/2 C) of water and bring to the boil on a very low heat.
Boil for a minute and then add lemon juice and liqueur.
Let all the ingredients boil for a minute.
Brush the surface of the cookies.
Let them dry; the best thing would be to put them in the warm oven.
– Very tasty cookies from traditional cuisine of Apulia. Serve it with tea of after dinner.
– We prepared the icing in a different way. We put the lemon juice, icing sugar and 6 tablespoons of Cointreau liqueur in a little saucepan. We boiled the ingredients for some minutes and then added the water. We kept on boiling until the mixture has thickened. Then we halved the mixture and added some drops of different colours for food. We let the two kinds of icing cool and then brushed the cookies with them. In this way the icing is soften.